June 30, 2010

Collegiate Experience



Kimberly Riha (Iowa-Delta Epsilon)
Collegian




As I sat in my graduation ceremony waiting for my name to be called, I looked next to me at my roommate, a fellow Alpha Phi. We had spent the past four years at Alpha Phi together, and now we waited for our diplomas and for whatever the world may throw at us. Looking back on the past few years I have spent as an Alpha Phi, I see a family. I see a family that let me grow and have new experiences all while keeping me sheltered and safe. I see the third floor of our chapter house while everyone got ready to go out. I hear laughter and I remember the way the sun would shine through my window in the early spring. Some of my Alpha Phi memories have begun to grow hazy, as though they are from a past life. I know that when I look back on my years as an undergraduate I won’t remember specific parties or conversations, but I will remember the amazing women who were by my side through everything.

Now that I have graduated, I am hoping to stay close to the University of Iowa. I also hope to be an advisor for my chapter. I loved my undergraduate years as an Alpha Phi and though I know my experience will never be the same as it once was, being an Alpha Phi will continue to enrich my life. Even if I am not close to an undergraduate chapter, I hope that I end up living near an alumnae chapter that I can become involved in. I see Alpha Phi always being a big part of my life because it was one of the biggest contributors to who I have become as a young woman.

No comments: