October 13, 2009

Meet J.D.




J.D. Louk
Director of Collegiate Operations



After being here about a month and getting my feet wet, I felt like I needed to reach out to you and let you all know who I am.

I joined the Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Austin Peay State University, where I double majored in Foreign Languages with a concentration in Spanish as well as Communications with a concentration in Public Relations. After graduation, I traveled for my fraternity. I loved seeing new chapters and the vast different regions. After my year on the road driving across the country I went to graduate school. I attended Georgia Southern University where I encountered Alpha Phi Sara Mayer, an initiate of the Delta Chi chapter at William Woods in my classes. Her devotion to Alpha Phi and its values was evident and prompted learning opportunities. We were both pursing masters’ degrees in the Higher Education department so we had plenty of time to talk and learn.

Upon graduation I took the path of working in housing and residence. I had the opportunity to work at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Tulane University both in housing while doing some fraternity and sorority related activities on the side. In 2004 I attended the Interfraternity Institute at Indiana University; it was there that I reacquainted myself with the fact that fraternity & sorority life is my true passion. Shortly after, I moved to Florida to begin working with fraternities and sororities. I had the opportunity to work at Florida Southern College and then Florida International University – working with Panhellenics, Interfraternity Councils, National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Multicultural Greek Council.

The move to Miami also began my volunteer experience with Alpha Phi. The past three years I have served on the Advisory Board for the Theta Omega chapter at Barry University. I served as the Recruitment and Program Development Advisor. I had the opportunity to work with some dynamic women from multiple countries and various backgrounds. Working with college students and helping them grow and see the multitude of opportunities that membership in a fraternity/sorority provides is definitely something I find rewarding.

I was drawn to Alpha Phi due to the rich history in the cultivation of women to be empowered leaders of tomorrow. Now, more than ever, young women in college need the guidance of dedicated and true individuals in advisory roles. This direct impact is how we are able to shape the future of tomorrow’s leaders by utilizing the long standing values of the fraternity: sisterhood, service, scholarship, character development, leadership and loyalty.
I am very excited to be a part of the rich Alpha Phi history and development of our women to be values based leaders helping everyone grow and become more than they dreamed they could become.

No comments: