July 28, 2009

Collegiate Perspective

Each month, we'll be having our collegiate and alumane blog writers post about their Alpha Phi experiences. Want to write for the Alpha Phi blog? E-mail aschuman@alphaphi.org

As I look forward to my senior year of college and saying good bye to my sisters, I can’t help but reflect back on the past three years Alpha Phi has given me. Most of my memories have been wonderful, but there have been difficult times. I once reached a point where I was planning on dropping Alpha Phi. Then something unexpected happened.

Due to special circumstances I was lucky enough as Vice President of Recruitment to be able to attend Convention in Arizona last July. I was nervous for Convention; being in Arizona by myself was intimidating and I worried that I would spend my time there wishing I was home. At that point in my life I wasn’t feeling much of a sisterly bond and I didn’t think Convention would help matters. I was definitely wrong.

We always hear about the international bond that Alpha Phi’s share, but I thought it was just something we talked about, not something I would experience. Not only were the women I met friendly towards me, we connected instantly.

I’m so grateful for the beautiful, smart, funny women I met last summer. I was reminded why I joined Alpha Phi in the first place; to be a part of a sisterhood that can withstand anything. I was reminded what it means to be an Alpha Phi, and I now have comfort in knowing that where ever my life leads after I graduate I will always have a connection of sisters to rely on.

Kimberly Riha
(Delta Epsilon-Iowa)
Alpha Phi Collegiate Blogger

1 comment:

duke1124 said...

Staci Lynne Smelker Marusin 1965-2009
rest in peace

Love always,John